"What’s wrong with her?” Charlie wondered. "She thinks she broke her hand.” I heard Jacob tell him. "How did she do that?” Jacob laughed. "She hit me.” "Why did she hit you?” "Because I kissed her.” Jacob said, unashamed. "Good for you, kid.” Charlie congratulated him. I ground my teeth and went for the phone. I dialed Edward’s cell. "Bella?” he answered on the first ring. "You left the phone… I’m sorry, did Jacob drive you home?” "Yes I grumbled. "Will you come and get me, please?” "I’m on my way,” he said at once. "What’s wrong?” "I want Carlisle to look at my hand. I think it’s broken.” "What happend?” Edward demanded, his voice going flat. "I punched Jacob,” I admitted. "Good,” Edward said bleakly. "Though I’m sorry you’re hurt.” "I wish I’d hurt him.” I sighed in frustration. "I didn’t do any damage at all.” "I can fix that,” he offered. "I was hoping you would say that.” There was a slight pause. "That doesn’t sound like you,” he said, wary now. "What did he do?” "He kissed me,” I growled. All I heard on the other end of the line was the sound of an engine accelerating. […] "Is the dog still there? Edward finally spoke again. "Yes.” "I’m around the corner,” he said darkly, and the line disconnected. […] "I don’t want any fighting, do you understand?” Chrlie looked only at Edward when he spoke. "I can go put my badge on if that makes my request more official.” "That won’t be necessary.” Edward said in a restrained tone." "Why don’t you arrested me, Dad?” I suggested. "I’m the one throwing punches. Charlie raised an eyebrow. "Do you want to press charges, Jake?” "No.” Jacob grinned, incorrigible. "I’ll take the trade any day.” Edward grimaced. "Dad, don’t you have a baseball bat somewhere in your room? I want to borrow it for a minute.” Charlie looked at me evenly. "Enought, Bella.” "Let’s go have Charlie look at your hand before you wind up in a jail cell,” Edward said. He put his arms around me and pulled me toward the door.
(Eclipse)

No comments:

Post a Comment